Climate Diagnostics & Prediction Workshop
NOAA's 43rd Climate Diagnostics & Prediction Workshop
Santa Barbara, California,
23–25 October 2018
NOAA's 43rd Climate Diagnostics and Prediction Workshop will be held in Santa Barbara, California on 23-25 October 2018. The workshop will be hosted by the Earth Research Institute and Department of Geography at the University of California Santa Barbara and is co-sponsored by the Climate Prediction Center (CPC) of the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) and the Climate Services Branch (CSB) of the National Weather Service (NWS).
The workshop will focus on five major themes, with an emphasis on climate prediction, monitoring, attribution, diagnostics, and service delivery related to:
- Improved understanding of the coupled atmosphere-ocean climate system through dynamical and statistical models and methods, forecaster practices and protocols, reanalysis data and model improvement, and scientific concepts.
- Prospects for improved understanding, prediction, and simulation of intra-seasonal, seasonal, and inter-annual climate variability, including the extratropical annular modes, stratosphere/troposphere coupling, tropical-extratropical interactions, land-surface forcing, atmospheric river events and drought/precipitation events etc.
- Climate variability and prediction in relation to the hydrologic cycle and in particular Western water resources.
- Observation, prediction and attribution of recent high impact weather and climate events, and implications for extreme precipitation and temperatures, heat/cold waves, droughts and wildfires.
- Improving climate information delivery for impact-based decision support services through the application of new technologies, including GIS, statistical tools, and software development practices.
The workshop will feature daytime oral presentations, invited speakers, and discussions with a poster session event on one evening. Discounted student registration and some travel support for students will be available.
Click the button below to submit an abstract for the workshop. You may also resubmit or delete a previously submitted abstract. If you have any difficulties, please send the required information on the web form as an attachment via email to Yun Fan
(yun.fan [at] noaa.gov) or
Muthuvel Chelliah (muthuvel.chelliah [at] noaa.gov).
Abstract Submissions Closed
The submission deadline is August 10, 2018.
To sign up for or unsubscribe from Climate Diagnostics Prediction Workshop (CDPW) news, visit the CDPW mailing list.